General Solution for Equilibria Problems
Use the following steps to solve equilibria problems. Note that in many problems steps 3 and 4 are obvious and can be skipped.
- Write the balanced chemical reaction.
- Determine the initial concentrations of the reactants and products.
- Calculate the reation quotient, Q, to determine if the reaction will proceed in the forward or reverse directions to reach equilibrium.
- Determine the change in reactant and product concentrations to reach equilibrium.
- Write the equilibrium constant expression and solve for the unknown.
/chem-ed/equilibr/eqproblm.htm, updated 7/3/97
Copyright © 1997 by Brian M. Tissue, all rights reserved.
Science Hypermedia Home Page